»

Oct 06

Minicab firm addison lee’s 200 M4 bus lane fines rescinded.

A minicab firm says it has received notice that it will not be prosecuted despite getting more than 200 tickets for driving in the M4 bus lane.

Addison Lee said it had been contacted by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to say the tickets, and 130 court summonses, had been dropped.

On Friday, the government announced that the bus lane would be scrapped.

Addison Lee chairman John Griffin said: “The discrimination could not be justified.”

The CPS has not commented on Addison Lee’s claim.

Only buses, coaches, motorbikes, emergency vehicles and licensed taxis can use the 3.5-mile (5.6km) lane, which runs between Heathrow Airport and central London.

Transport Secretary Philip Hammond has said the bus lane is “not effective” and will be scrapped at the end of the year.

The bus lane will be suspended from 24 December for 18 months when the lane comes back into use for the Olympics, after which it will be scrapped for good.

All motorists will again be able to use the lane which operates on the London-bound carriageway from near Heathrow Airport.

Mr Griffin said: “I’m very pleased that people are starting to realize that the current anti-competitive bus lane rules are not workable.

“It is unfair to discriminate against private hire vehicles that are licensed by the same authorities and compete for the same customers with taxis.”

The bus lane was introduced by then Transport Secretary John Prescott in 1999.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>